Many people are showing interest in using Hemp milk as it is now easily available in the market. There are many potential health benefits of using hemp milk. However, there are few concerns about hemp milk containing CBD as it is made from Cannabis plants. Let us take a detailed look at the pros and cons of using this milk.
What exactly is hemp milk?
Hemp milk is made from hemp seeds by mixing water with the seeds and blending them. The hemp seeds come from the Cannabis Sativa plant that is also used to produce marijuana. While hemp milk contains CBD and THC, the amount of CBD is high, and it has fewer THC amounts.
For this reason, you can safely use hemp milk as this does not cause mind-altering effects due to low amounts of THC. On the other hand, marijuana that is extracted from the flowers of this plant gives a high, and it has high amounts of mind-altering substances like THC. You can make hemp milk at home or get it from the market.
Nutritional content in Hemp milk?
Hemp milk is nutritious, and you can safely use it like regular milk. It has a good amount of healthy fats and proteins. It is considered better than cow milk in many cases as this has fewer calories and the same amount of fat as that of cow milk. Compared to other types of plant-based milk, it contains high amounts of protein and healthy fats.
One cup of unsweetened hemp milk contains about 130 calories and only 3 grams of fat. It has about 20 grams of carbs and 15 grams of sugar, along with 1 gram of fiber. The protein content is about 4 grams per cup of hemp milk. It is considered a complete protein as it has all the essential amino acids.
Apart from that, hemp milk is also a good source of Vitamins A, D, and B12. It is also loaded with calcium, Iron, Phosphorous, and Zinc. However, commercially available hemp milk may contain added nutrients as manufacturers often fortify such milk with additional ingredients. For this reason, you should always take a good look at the nutrition label and consult your doctor before using commercially available hemp milk.
Benefits of Hemp milk
There are several health benefits of using hemp milk, even though there is not enough research to prove the benefits. As hemp plants are not legal in many countries, there is less research with regards to the health benefits provided by hemp milk. In this regard, you can consider the below-mentioned benefits as potential benefits of hemp milk and consult your doctor before using them regularly.
- As hemp seeds contain arginine, it is effective in producing nitric acid in the body that can boost the health of your heart and provide other benefits.
- Apart from that, it is also rich in fiber and aids in the digestion process. When you use pure hemp milk that is not sweetened, it is also beneficial to reduce the risk of diabetes. However, you should avoid using commercially made hemp milk as it may contain added sugars.
- The nitric oxide present in hemp milk relaxes the blood vessels and eases the blood pressure in the body. This can lower the risk of heart diseases in the long run and boost your overall health.
- It is also rich in omega 3 fatty acids that can reduce inflammation in the body and provide good benefits for your skin. You can also use hemp seed oil for skin ailments and get excellent benefits along with using hemp milk.
- The omega 3 fatty acids and omega 6 fatty acids in hemp milk boost the functions of your brain and help to prevent certain neurodegenerative diseases in the long run.
- Finally, it is also beneficial to boost the immune system that can prevent many diseases.
Is hemp milk an alternative for cow’s milk?
Many people use hemp milk regularly, and it can be used as an alternative to cow milk. You will be glad to know that it is free from gluten and lactose that can give various health benefits for people who are allergic to dairy products. Apart from that, as the milk is derived from plants, it is also a good choice for those who are following a vegan diet. The good thing about hemp milk is that it is also free from soy, and people who are allergic to soy milk can easily use this in different ways.
You can use this for your everyday coffee or drink hemp milk on its own without any additives according to your choice. When used for making coffee and cappuccinos, it provides an excellent creamy consistency. It is also high in protein and good for your health in many ways. However, you must be aware that it has a nutty flavor, and you have to get used to the taste to appreciate hemp milk. You can even use hemp milk in baked goods and cereals according to your taste.
Can hemp milk give you a high?
You can safely use hemp milk without worrying about getting a high as it does not contain high amounts of cannabinoid concentrations like marijuana. The concern comes from the fact that both hemp and marijuana come from the same Cannabis sativa plant. In this regard, people often worry that they may get high while using hemp milk.
However, you need to understand that hemp milk is made from hemp seeds while marijuana is made from the flowers even though both come from the same plant. In this regard, the cannabinoids are more concentrated in the flowers, and the hemp seeds contain very small amounts that do not give you a high. On the other hand, it can give you many health benefits in the long run.
Are there any risks of using hemp milk?
There are few risks associated with hemp milk, and you should always consult your doctor before using them regularly. Even though it has many nutritional elements, it may not be suited for everyone.
- Hemp milk may trigger allergies in some people. It can cause skin rashes and anaphylaxis in some cases. However, it is not very common and happens only in rare cases.
- Commercially available hemp milk may contain added sugar and synthetic B12. The manufacturers often fortify hemp milk with such ingredients to provide added health benefits. However, this form of synthetic B12 may not be suitable for some people as it can lead to low potassium levels in the body.
- As hemp milk is made from seeds, it contains both saponins and tannins, and these compounds may not be suitable for every person. It can cause mild stomach ailments in some people and lead to indigestion and inflammation of the digestive tract. If you notice such symptoms, you can stop using hemp milk.
- Such symptoms are rare, and it will usually go away once you stop using hemp milk for a few days. In this regard, there is no serious risk of using hemp milk regularly.
Can you consume hemp milk if you have diabetes?
If you are consuming homemade hemp milk, there are no issues using it, even when you have diabetes. However, it is not a good idea to use hemp milk available in the market if you are suffering from diabetes problems. Using hemp milk that contains added sugars can increase your risk of diabetes in the long run.
The hemp milk available in the market is often loaded with thickeners and sugar. This can lead to stomach bloating and inflammation of the digestive system in many cases. For this reason, it is not recommended for people who have diabetes. However, if you can make pure hemp milk at home, you can safely use this even when you have diabetes.
Hemp milk is made from hemp seeds that come from the same plant as that of Cannabis. The flowers of this plant are used to make marijuana that can give you a high. You can find CBD in both cannabis and hemp plants, along with THC. Not only that, there are more than 500 other substances in these plants, and CBD is just one of the ingredients.
Hemp milk has more CBD and is well known to provide nutritional benefits for your body. Even though there are few side effects of using CBD in some cases, it can be used safely in low doses. The CBD present in hemp milk provides the same effect as that of the CBD in any other source. In this regard, you can use hemp milk even though it contains high amounts of CBD.
You can use hemp milk without worrying about the ill effects of CBD, as this does not cause harm in most cases. However, it is a good idea to consult your doctor and get proper suggestions as it may trigger allergies in some people. In any case, you can safely use this once in a while to derive health benefits.